35 Father's Day Gift Ideas For The Outdoorsman
Updated: May 17
I am extremely fortunate to have a dad that introduced me to the outdoors at a young age. I owe most all of my passions in life to my father, especially hunting, fishing, and camping. Not only did he plant the seeds of an adventurous life in me, he patiently watered those seeds to fruition over many years outdoors together. To this day, there is no one I would rather spend time with out in the woods, in an old aluminum fishing boat, or around a campfire.
At the same time he modeled the characteristics I hope to embody as a man: hard-working, dedicated, stubborn (in a mostly-good way), honest, loyal, and giving. It would be impossible to say enough good about my dad or thank him properly.
If you have a dad, like mine, who loves hunting, fishing, camping, or just enjoys being outdoors, I've assembled a list of 35 Father's Day gift ideas that might be the perfect thank you. There's sure to be something here for even the most difficult-to-buy-for-father.
1. Rep Your Water Brown Trout Old Fashioned Glass ($12) The best companion to a delicious beverage: RepYourWater Old Fashioned glasses. Whether you call it a lowball, rocks glass, whiskey glass or old fashioned glass, when dad wants to sip the good stuff, make sure it's surrounded by the perfect design.
2. The Old Man and the Boy ($15) This classic by Robert Ruark captures the endearing relationship between a man and his grandson as they fish and hunt the lakes and woods of North Carolina. In each tale the Old Man acts as teacher and guide, passing on his wisdom and life experiences to the boy, who listens in rapt fascination. A tremendous read for anyone who loves the outdoors, and a beautiful portrayal of the relationship between grandson and grandfather.
3. Orvis Angler's Pint Glass ($20) Illustrated with a variety of species by Maine artist Karen Talbot, each of these substantial Orvis glasses hold a generous 21.5 ounces. If dad loves to he fish, he will especially enjoy a cold one out of one of these .
4. The Meateater Fish and Game Cook Book ($20) Recipes and techniques for every hunter and angler. From the host of the television series and podcast MeatEater, comes this definitive guide to cooking wild game, including fish and fowl, featuring more than 100 new recipes. I'll admit that I sometimes find Rinella to be a bit of a pretentious windbag, but the dude can cook wild game like no other, so if dad enjoys hunting, angling, and cooking, he'll likely enjoy the recipes found in this book.
5. Jeff Currier Brown Trout Coffee Mug ($30) The perfect way for dad to enjoy his morning Joe. Made of 100% ceramic, this 15 oz coffee mug, featuring the art of the infamous Jeff Currier, is both microwave and dishwasher safe. And if dad doesn't happen to love brown trout (he's crazy), there are over 100 other designs to choose from.
6. Stanley Classic Legendary Bottle 1.0 QT ($36) Leakproof. Sweatproof. Drop-proof. Adventure-proof. Dad-proof. The rugged construction and vacuum insulation on this bottle means that it can handle anything—all while keeping his hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold for a full day. Slim enough for a one-handed hold, it’s even got a twist-and-pour stopper for smoother pouring, and the insulated lid doubles as a cup. Order it in the iconic Hammertone Green. Read the review here.
7. Princeton Tec Remix Headlamp ($40) Every dad can use a headlamp. The Remix offers true versatility in a compact, water resistant, and self-contained package. Whether his requirements call for long distance spotting, or close-range area light, the 300-Lumen Remix is up to the task.
8. Molly Jogger Scrimshaw Pocket Knife DIY Kit ($50) Scrimshaw is an early American art form originating from the whaling industry in the late 1700’s. During the many idle hours at sea, a whaler etched drawings of nautical themes on items that were readily available to him such as sperm whale teeth and bones. His primary etching instrument was a sail needle, nail, or pocket knife. After he scratched his art work into the surface of the bone, he would rub lamp black or tobacco juice into the scratch to reveal the drawing. As America traveled west, the frontiersmen carried the art form with them, applying it to their powder-horns, knives, and other accoutrements. You can experience this art form too as you scrimshaw the images of a hunt, big catch, or simply the family name on a one-of-a-kind bone-handled pocket knife for dad. This kit includes all you'll need to complete the project and is a perfect starter introduction into scrimshaw.
9. Eagles Nest Outfitters Singlenest Hammock ($55) Perfect for mid-day dad- naps, the compact and lightweight SingleNest Hammock is expertly constructed with durable yet soft FreeWave® fabric, making it ideal for solo relaxation on any kind of adventure.
10. Duluth Pack Medium Travel Kit Bag ($65) Proudly Made in the USA by skilled Duluth Pack craftspeople, the Medium Travel Kit Bag is crafted of premium American leather, a weatherproof zipper, and embossed with the iconic Duluth Pack logo. The Medium Travel Kit Bag by Duluth Pack will hold all of dad's essentials for a weekend trip to the cabin or a month abroad. Most popular as a shaving kit bag, or carry-all accessory, the Medium Travel Kit Bag is the largest size available in the Travel Kit Bag line handcrafted by Duluth Pack.
11. Poncho Outdoors Performance Shirts ($65-$85) Available in Original, Western, and Flannel, these shirts are breathable, lightweight and simple with a perfect fit, soft feel, and just the right amount of stretch. Dressy enough for the office, rugged enough for any outdoor adventure and perfect on the water. Read the review from Ozzy here.
12. Sanborn Canoe Company Scout Cribbage Board ($75) Handcrafted in Minnesota and matching their popular canoe paddle designs, this cribbage board is ideal for passing a rainy afternoon in the cabin or the deck by the river with dad (just make sure to let him win).
13. Filson Tin Cloth Packer Hat ($75) A classic fedora-style hat in rugged, water-repellent oil finish Tin Cloth. Dad can wear it on the job or in the field – the classic Tin Cloth Packer Hat will keep him protected from the elements. Water-repellent, abrasion-resistant oil finish Tin Cloth fabric has a cotton sweatband and ventilation grommets for year-round comfort. Read the review here.
14. Mountain Khakis Larimer Shorts ($75) Everything you love about the Larimer Pant turned it into a short meant for the same rugged exploits. An action gusset, triple-stitched seams and just a touch of stretch will keep dad moving comfortably, whether he's setting up the campsite for a long weekend or running errands around town.
15. Big D Speed Shop Broken Arrow Zippo ($80) An engraved metal arrowhead, afixed to the famed brass 204B Zippo. Delivered dry, but also available with a kit containing 4oz. of lighter fluid, a wick and flints. Made in the USA. Perfect for the dad that "has everything." Totally unique and cool AF.
16. Helinox Chair One ($110) If you are looking for the ultimate chair to circle up around the campfire, look no further than Helinox's lightweight and portable Chair One. Its versatility is unmatched -moving easily from backpacking trips to music festivals to days at the beach. Dad will love it (and you may want one for yourself too).
17. Dark Energy Poseidon Pro Portable Charger ($120) The best portable charger on the market. Dad can charge his phone, GPS, laptop, or tablet in the backcountry. Tough and submersible, with the highest water and dustproof rating available and plenty of long-lasting power, the Poseidon Pro belongs in any pack. Read the review here.
18. Sight Line Provisions x Whiskey Leatherworks Copper Flask ($125) What happens when you two of your favorite companies get together and work on a flask? Pure awesomeness. This one-of-a-kind leather-wrapped flask embodies a classic character sure to complement any adventure - indoors or out. Read the interview with Danny and Ally from Whiskey Leatherworks here.
19. Duckworth Men's Comet Crew ($130) Any dad can appreciate a warm pullover. Duckworth's proprietary Comet fabric is a natural-technical mash-up, combining a pure, 100% Montana-grown Merino Wool outer layer and a polyester inner layer. Why the combo? Polyester is hydrophobic, meaning it will wick sweat and moisture right off your skin and into the hydrophilic wool layer; wool chemically begins to get even warmer when introduced to water and water vapor, thus explaining why the Comet Crew will have dad feeling dry and toasty even in the nastiest conditions. The Comet is soft to the touch, and it works perfectly as a single layer that looks sharp at après ski in the lodge or in the truck between treks. Durable, anti-odor, moisture-wicking, quick-drying, durable, and versatile; this THE one-stop-shop baselayer. Read the review here.
20. Stio Long-Sleeve Eddy Shirt ($130) Crowned"the greatest shirt ever made," the water-resistant and quick-drying the Eddy is a lightweight snap shirt deal for sun, wind, and waves. Made with Conflux™, a nylon/poly blend with a water-resistant finish, mechanical stretch and a UPF 50+ sun protection rating, it also features pearl snaps and a modified shirttail hem that tucks in or out.read the review here.
21. Whiskey Leather Works Traveling Mixologist ($145) If dad enjoys a well-made cocktail the Traveling Mixologist Bartender Roll is just the ticket. Whether on a river float, camping trip, or enjoying an evening in the backyard with friends, he'll have the tools to showcase his mixology skills. The kit comes with 9 pieces and includes all the essential tools: a 2-piece shaker cup, two stainless steel tumblers, shot measure, paring knife, muddler, mixing spoon, and a strainer. Each tool roll is handmade with American-made waxed canvas and leather from The Horween Tannery of Chicago.
22. Whiskey Leather Works Stainless Steel Buckle Belt ($150) Each solid stainless buckle, and matching keep, are hand-forged in Missoula by master metalsmith, Nathan Kimpell. These pieces are secured with hand-set brass rivets and burrs for a lifetime of dependability. The leather straps are sourced from two of America's finest tanneries: Horween Tannery and Wickett & Craig. Available in a number of colors and sizes.
23. KUIU Kutana Stretch Woven Pants ($170) The go-to summer/fall outdoor pants for everything dad loves – hiking, backpacking, fishing, or hunting. The Kutana's are super durable for their weight and the fit/stretch allow room for layering in the colder temps, while hip vents provide cooling in warmer conditions. The articulated knees and a gusseted crotch allow for a full range of unrestricted movement, and low-profile cargo pockets provide storage with minimal bulk. They are finished with coatings of Toray MAKSPEC to reduce bacterial odor, and Toray K-DWR to repel outside moisture.
24. Eric Nording Hunter Series Ruffed Grouse Pipe ($190) The inspiration for the 2021 Hunting Pipe comes from the Ruffed goose. The broad bowl on the this pipe reassembles the spectacular ruff of the Ruffed Grouse. The distinctive mid-brown stain allows the contrast in the grain to stand out in order to enhance the feeling of a feathery pattern. The 2021 Hunting Pipe comes in two finishes, a silky mat smooth version and a semi rusticated version. Both versions are fitted with the signature silver ring featuring the "N" Nording logo and make a beautiful gift for a dad that appreciates fine tobacco and a good bird dog.
25. Anchor Axe Co. Almike Hatchet ($225) Handmade in Wuppertal, Germany, these hatchets are named after the region’s famous Rhein River Valley. The Rhein was a historically significant source of trade and growth for settlements in the region throughout the medieval period, and cutting axes like these were a daily necessity for people carving out towns and villages in heavily forested regions along the river. Featuring a traditional German wide-bit blade this hatchet performs well at limbing branches, making kindling, carving, and other light and fine cutting work around the cabin.
26. Lowa Baldo GTX Hiking Boot ($270) Named "Best Hiking Boots of 2019" by BACKPACKER Magazine, the Baldo is a fully waterproof and breathable (GORE-TEX) lightweight boot designed to keep feet supported and protected while trekking over moderate terrain. Perfect for the dad that loves to hike.
27. Petromax 500 HK Chrome Lantern ($320) German engineered with over 200 pieces assembled by hand, the Petromax lamp is the oldest and most well-known pressure lamp in the world. As beautiful as it is practical this lantern makes for a very special gift. They can be difficult to find, but you should be able to purchase here. A full product review can be found here.
28. White River Knife and Tool Sendero Classic Knife ($325) Dad will love everything about this heirloom-quality hand-crafted, classic-style knife made in collaboration with Jerry Fisk and White River Knives.
29. Cody Richardson Vintage Trout License Plate Art ($300-$450) Cody Richardson is a Colorado native who grew up exploring the rivers and streams of the Rocky Mountains. He switched gears from a career in fire fighting to pursue a personal passion for fly fishing and unique artwork. Starting out by creating personal designs in his home shop for friends and family, these pieces caught on through local Colorado fly shops, and are now carried sold in shops around the world. The perfect adornment for the wall of any hunt or fish camp.
30. HMH TRV Pedestal Fly Tying Vise ($545) HMH’s TRV vise with true rotary action, brass palm wheel, and hammertone-powdercoated cast-iron base, makes the perfect gift for any dad that loves to tie and appreciates the finer things in life. HMH Vises has been making the highest-quality fly tying vises, tools, and materials since 1975. Owner Jon Larrabee is a skilled machinist with has over 35 years of experience as a canoe guide and fly fisherman, testing his products on the coast of Maine, in the Maine Woods, and in the Canadian bush.
31. Duluth Pack Bison Leather Sportsman's Duffel ($700) Proudly made in the USA and paying tribute to the beauty and power of the American West, the Duluth Pack Bison Leather Duffel will become a piece of dad's time-honored adventure gear. Outfitted with rolled leather handles, a dust flap to keep everything clean, and a webbed shoulder strap with bison leather pad - all optimized for a comfortable carry. Like dad, this bag is strong, durable, and even better with age.
32. Yeti V Series Stainless Steel Cooler ($800) If dad loves to camp or if you just really want to outdo the siblings by delivering the "oh wow" factor, this cooler supplies in spades, taking Yeti's legendary insulation to the next level in a look that’s a classic nod to the past, but built with downright futuristic technology.
33. Maven B1.2 8 x 42 Binoculars ($950) Voted"Best Overall Binocular" by Outdoor Life, the B.1.2 is an updated version of the popular flagship B.1 Binocular. Maven took the best features of a classic and improved upon the original binocular design with a wider field of view, improved coatings, a larger, wider Schmidt-Pechan prism, and packaged it in a lighter, more compact build that boasts excellent light transmission. This binocular is the recommended go-to for an all-purpose optic for hunting, birding, and general-purpose wildlife viewing. Made to handle most situations, the B.1.2 features superior low-light performance, tack-sharp edge-to-edge clarity, generous depth of field, and a silky focus mechanism. Read the review here.
34. Luminox Bear Grylls Survival Chronograph MASTER Series - 3741 ($975) - Developing for the Navy SEALS, Luminox's long reputation for crafting watches that not only withstand but perform in extreme conditions makes it the perfect gift for adventurous dads of all types. They partnered with Bear Grylls to roll out the Luminox X Bear Grylls limited collection made specifically for outdoor adventurers. This is a rugged Swiss-made timepiece crafted to perform in extreme situations through multi-functional design and state of the art materials. Read the full review here.
35. Traeger Pro 780 Pellet Grill and Smoker ($1,000) - Traeger invented the Original Wood-Fired Grill over 30 years ago in Mt. Angel, Oregon. With Traeger’s 6-in-1 versatility, you can grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and BBQ like a true backyard boss. The always dependable fire and smoke produces consistent results and perfectly cooked food, every single time. From low and slow to hot and fast, cook it all with ease. The Pro 780 includes a D2® controller featuring WiFIRE® technology. Trust me, this one is on every dad's wishlist.