2021 Holiday Gift Guide - Fly Fishing
Updated: Oct 15
It's no secret that I love to fly fish. It probably occupies more of my time and more of my wallet than anything else. It's also no secret that anglers, myself included, are among the worst of all gear junkies. That being the case, this list of 21 unique items was pretty easy to assemble. And I've done my best to include a wide variety of products and price points, from $8 replacement boot laces, to custom-built bamboo rods and the trip of a lifetime. So, no matter how naughty or nice the angler on your list has been, you're sure to find something appropriate.
1. Yakoda Supply Replacement Boot Laces ($8) - If you spend as much time in the water as I do, you've likely had to replace the laces on your wading boots a time or three. Enter the Yakoda Guide Laces. These 72" laces fit most wading boots. Metal aglets at the end of each lace keep them from fraying, since the plastic aglets on most laces are the first thing to fail. They come in a number of designs and colors.
2. Chums Original Eyewear Retainers ($10) - The original. These easily adjustable eyewear retainers are ideal for all forms of action, be it on water, land, snow, or in the air. The Original LTD eyeglass retainer has it all: quality, comfort, and the ability to fit most standard frames. Plus they come in fish patterns. No brown trout, so I always go for the brookie.
3. Yakoda Supply Mystic Trout Multicam Hat ($29) - The ad said "your new lucky hat." I bought it. It is. Don't believe in lucky hats? You should, find out why here.
4. Trxstle Big Water Case and Flybox ($49) - Waterproof fly box, phone case, travel wallet, and more! Jam-packed with unique inserts and attachment features so you can have one box that does it all. Can be securely attached to your boat or raft using the dual strap mounting points or clampIT mounting feature.
5. Scientific Anglers Switch Tippet Holder/Loaded ($50) - The Switch holder's unique design lets you choose either a horizontal or vertical orientation on your sling pack, vest or boat bag. Powder coated aluminum construction includes 5 spools of Absolute Trout 2-6x.
6. Poncho Outdoors Performance Shirts ($65-$85) - Available in Original, Western, and Flannel, these shirts are breathable, lightweight and simple with a perfect fit, soft feel, and just the right amount of stretch. Dressy enough for the office, rugged enough for any outdoor adventure and perfect on the water. Read the review from Ozzy here.
7. Duckworth Men's Vapor Snorkel Hood ($120) - Made with single-origin Montana Merino Wool and proprietary Vapor Wool fabric, the heathered-look Vapor Snorkel Hood is lightweight, soft, cooling, antimicrobial (odor-free), moisture-wicking, ultra-fast-drying, and 100% American-made. The perfect catchall garment, straddling the lines of solo layer, baselayer, and fashionable hoody for a night out.
8. Fishpond Nomad Emerger Landing Net ($150) - The Nomad Emerger net was designed to work with both packs and vests. This lightweight and durable net is waterproof, UV protected, and floats like a cork. To make sure that net is always handy and never gets left behind, add the Fishpond Confluence Net Release for $30.
9. Scientific Anglers Amplitude MPX Floating Fly Line ($130) - The slickest, longest-shooting, most-durable floating fly line on the market, featuring the revolutionary AST PLUS slickness additive. Amplitude MPX is built a half size heavy and is especially well matched with faster-action rods.
10. Bajio Nippers Polarized Sunglass/Glass Lens ($250) - Featuring wide, curved lenses for enhanced field of vision, and Fresh Eyes polarized lens technology that blocks blue light and diminishes eye strain on the brightest days. The low-density, bio-based nylon frames are lighter than traditional oil-based polymers—yet also provide higher strength and impact resistance.
11. Snowbee XS Travel Bag ($260) - This single bag will carry all you need for a two-week fishing trip with its innovative dual compartment design. The waterproof base compartment can store up to a 10’, 4pc rod, in addition to waders, boots, and other fly gear. The 43-liter main compartment has ample room for all of the dry clothing needed for travel. Two flexible side pockets expand into the main compartment for storing dirty laundry, toiletries, or shoes.
12. Add the Snowbee XS Stowaway Travel Case ($160) which fits neatly into the base compartment of the travel bag to provide a daytime case to safely carry all of your fishing gear in an organized way.
13. Temple Fork Outfitters LK Legacy Fly Rod ($280) - Billed as the ultimate “big water” trout rod, the LK legacy is an affordable, high-quality bug-chucker for intermediate to advanced anglers. The LK is lightweight and durable and features TFO’s no-fault lifetime warranty. Buy it in seven weight and pair it with the 14.BVK SD III Reel ($220) for a killer streamer set up.
15. Waterworks-Lamson Litespeed F Fly Reel ($530) - The LSF chassis is based on the conical system found in other Lamson reels with the addition of a click-stop drag knob and a unique spring set that creates a linear progression of torque with very fine resolution at the light end of its range. The spool and frame architecture is super-arbor in scale for high retrieve, but spare and open to promote line drying and reduce weight.
16. Riversmith River Quiver Fly Rod Roof Rack/4 Banger ($640) - The River Quiver line of fly fishing rod roof racks are burly strong, super functional and visually striking rooftop rod holders that are built to maximize your fishing. As you likely guessed, the 4 Banger can safely carry four strung rods.
17. Winston Air 2 Fly Rod ($1,100) - I'll be honest, I haven't fished it, but the three pros I was fortunate enough to get on the water with this season (Jeff Currier, Landon Mayer and Alice Owsley) all did - what else do you need to know? The new AIR 2 is a pack rod, a travel rod, an all-around rod, and frankly just a damn beautiful rod. Buy it in a five weight and match it with a 18. Bauer RVR Fly Reel for the ultimate top-of-the-line dry-fly combination.
19. Outcast OSG Drifter 13 ($4,600) - The OSG Drifter 13 is a versatile raft for anglers on a budget. It is constructed with a heavy-duty PVC shell, filled with airtight urethane AIREcells and includes a functional three-person NRS fishing frame and 9′ oars. Read the full review here.
20. Yellow Dog FLy Fishing adventure/ElPescador Lodge, Belize - For the angler on your list that has been REALLY good. El Pescador Lodge, in business for over 40 years, is one of the best-run, most famous fly fishing lodges in all of Central America. Situated only 15 minutes by light aircraft from Belize City on the island of Ambergris Caye, the lodge offers world-class sight fishing for The Big Three: tarpon, permit, and bonefish. El Pescador Lodge was one of the original Yellow Dog properties and it remains one of their all-time favorite destinations. Book early for prime 2022/2023 dates or check out the link for a two-for-one special if your trip originates before December 15, 2021!
21. Artist Series BONUS: Looking for something totally unique? Contact Jason at Karma Kane Rods for a custom bamboo fly rod. He doesn't often take cash for a project, but if you have something interesting to barter related to hunting, fishing, or camping you might be able to strike a deal. Read the full interview with Jason here.