2021 Holiday Gift Guide - Camping
Updated: Oct 25, 2022
From backpacking to car camping or even the ultimate "van life" experience, there's something on this list that's sure to make any camper on your list a happy one. Clothes, boots, packs, tents, bags, food and accessories - here are 16 unique ideas at a number of different price points.
1. Pyro Putty Waterproof Fire Starter ($6) - allows you to easily build a fire anywhere, anytime, no matter the conditions. The Winter Blue Blend is designed thinner specifically for cold temperatures. One nickel size piece of Pyro Putty can produce a 4 to 6-inch flame that will burn between 6 and 10 minutes. Because you are using such a small amount each time, you can make up to 20 fires with one .5 oz can. Read the review here.
2. Heather's Choice Sweet Coconut Packaroons /10 Pack ($25) - What is a Packaroon? It’s a coconut macaroon for your backpack! Heather’s Choice Packaroons are sure to become your new favorite high-calorie backpacking snack. These dehydrated cookies contain no artificial flavors, MSG, fillers, or preservatives. Enjoy all real ingredients with no surprises. Rich in healthy fat to provide the long-lasting energy you need in the backcountry. Heather’s Choice backcountry meals and snacks provide an allergen-safe backpacking food and are gluten, soy, egg, peanut, and dairy-free. Order here and use code ALLENOUTSIDE to save 10% on any purchase.
3. Katadyn BeFree .6 L Water Filter ($30) - Ultralight and fast water filtration in a collapsible 0. 6L hydrapak soft bottle flask that packs down small to fit in tight spaces and removes harmful organisms like bacteria and protozoa.
4. Klymit Drift Memory Foam Camp Pillow ($40) - The Drift is a versatile, shredded memory foam pillow that features a durable, easy-to-clean, water resistant outer shell for travel.
5. Princeton Tec Helix Backcountry Rechargeable Lantern ($50) - The ultimate packable, rechargeable lantern for any trip. The Glow-in-the-dark collapsible globe and folding legs help Helix Backcountry Rechargeable pack down to fit easily in your kit.
6. Helinox Chair One ($100) - If you are looking for the ultimate chair to circle up around the campfire, look no further than Helinox's lightweight and portable Chair One. Its versatility is unmatched -moving easily from backpacking trips to music festivals to days at the beach .
7. Dark Energy Poseidon Pro Portable Charger ($120) - The best portable charger on the market. Charge your phone, GPS, laptop or tablet in the backcountry. Tough and submersible, with the highest water and dustproof rating available and plenty of long-lasting power, the Poseidon Pro belongs in any pack. Read the review here.
8. Optimus Gemini 2-Burner Camp Stove ($150) - A game-changer for those who count ounces when packing their gear, the Optimus Gemini 2-burner stove is compact, lightweight and boasts precision flame control for cooking your meal just right in the backcountry.
9. KUIU Kutana Stretch Woven Pants ($160) - These are my go-to summer/fall outdoor pants for everything - hiking, backpacking, fishing, or hunting. The Kutana's are super durable for their weight and the fit/stretch allow room for layering in the colder temps, while hip vents provide cooling in warmer conditions. The articulated knees and a gusseted crotch allow for a full range of unrestricted movement, and low-profile cargo pockets provide storage with minimal bulk. They are finished with coatings of Toray MAKSPEC to reduce bacterial odor, and Toray K-DWR to repel outside moisture.
10. Stio Men's Ender PACLITE Hooded Jacket ($250) - Waterproof, lightweight and exceptionally packable, the GORE-TEX PACLITE® storm shell is focused on big backpack trips, serious climbing traverses and mountain town adventures. Full seam-sealing, YKK® AquaGuard® zips and an enduring DWR finish combine for a complete waterproof barrier to mountain precip. The breathable, linerless 2L GORE-TEX laminate maintains comfortable core temps and feels dry internally due to a protective interior carbon coating. The fixed, bonded-brim, storm-sealing hood features a halo adjustment for clear peripheral vision. Core vents add a quick solution to shed heat when gaining vertical.
11. Lowa Baldo GTX Hiking Boot ($260) - Named "Best Hiking Boots of 2019" by BACKPACKER Magazine, the Baldo is a fully waterproof and breathable (GORE-TEX) lightweight boot designed to keep feet supported and protected while trekking over moderate terrain.
12. Osprey Packs Aether Plus 70 ($360) - Ideal for a week on the trail, a gear-intensive weekend or a big adventure, the Aether Plus 70 offers a stable carry to manage heavy loads. A Custom Fit-On-The-Fly Hipbelt and Shoulder Strap allow users to calibrate the perfect fit while a removeable top lid quickly converts to a roomy daypack for side excursions.
13. Nemo Riff Down Sleeping Bag ($400) - A spoon shaped sleeping bag designed for side sleepers who prefer space-saving packability and shaving critical ounces for long hours on the trail.
14. Garmin inReach Explorer GPS and Satellite Communicator ($450) - The Explorer+ device has preloaded DeLorme® TOPO maps with on-screen GPS routing plus a built-in digital compass, barometric altimeter and accelerometer. The satellite communicators enable two-way text messaging via 100% global Iridium®satellite network (satellite subscription required) or you can trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center and track and share your location with family and friends.
16. Yeti V Series Stainless Steel Cooler ($800) - If you have a car camper on your list or you just really want to deliver the "oh wow" factor, this cooler supplies in spades, taking Yeti's legendary insulation to the next level in a look that’s a classic nod to the past, but built with downright futuristic technology.
17. Sync Vans Semi-custom Mercedes Sprinter Van conversions ($ TBD based on build) - Designed and built by people who love the outdoors, live in the outdoors and know what's really needed when going there, every Sync Van starts with one of their suggested configurations, then is matched to your specific budget, taste and lifestyle in final layout, interior design, color scheme, and accessories. If you are ready to take your camping to #vanlife, start here.